Exposed aggregate concrete driveways don’t require a concrete sealer, but there are many benefits to sealing them. Sealing an exposed aggregate concrete driveway can extend the life of the driveway and prolong the appearance.
Types of Aggregate Concrete Driveway Sealers
There are two types of concrete sealers that can be used to seal an exposed aggregate concrete driveway. The first is a penetrating sealer which preserves the concrete without changing the look, and the second is an acrylic concrete sealer which preserves the concrete and enhances it with a wet look or high gloss finish.
Penetrating Aggregate Driveway Sealers:
Under the category of penetrating sealers there are concrete densifiers and water repellent sealers. Concrete densifiers can be used to increase the strength and density of the concrete, while water repellent sealers are used to reduce deterioration and cracking caused by water absorption.
Penetrating sealers will seal concrete without leaving behind a visible surface film, and without changing the look or color of the exposed aggregate driveway. On average they last for 7-10 years, and require little to no maintenance. Penetrating sealers will not secure loose stones, or prevent stones from coming loose. If you need to secure loose stones, an acrylic sealer is a better choice.
Best water repellent sealers for exposed aggregate concrete driveways:
- Armor SX5000 Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.8 star review)
- Siloxane PD Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.5 star review)
- DryWay Water Repellent Concrete Sealer Review (average 3.8 star review)
Acrylic Aggregate Driveway Sealers:
There are many benefits to using an acrylic sealer on an exposed aggregate concrete driveway:
- Solvent based acrylic sealers darken the surface of the aggregate concrete to make it look “wet”.
- Acrylic concrete sealers help to secure loose pebbles, and prevent pebbles from coming loose.
- Acrylic concrete sealers enhance concrete driveways with a low to high gloss finish.
- Acrylic concrete sealers reduce staining and deterioration caused by surface spills and water.
Best acrylic concrete sealers for exposed aggregate concrete driveways:
- Eagle High Gloss Sealer (average 4.6 star review)
- Armor AR350 Wet Look Sealer (average 4.8 star review)
- Armor AR500 High Gloss Sealer (average 4.9 star review)
- Enduraseal SB Acrylic Sealer (average 4.5 star review)
What is the best type of exposed aggregate concrete driveway sealer to use?
Below is the best type of exposed aggregate concrete sealer to use based on common exposed aggregate concrete issues.
- Don’t want to change the look or color of the driveway: water repellent sealer.
- Want a wet look, low gloss, or high gloss finish: acrylic concrete sealer.
- Want to reduce deterioration caused by snow and ice: water repellent sealer or acrylic concrete sealer.
- Want to stop stones from coming loose: acrylic concrete sealer.
- Want to reduce hot tire pickup: acrylic concrete sealer.
- Want to stop the concrete and pebbles from losing color: acrylic concrete sealer.
- Want to reduce concrete dusting: concrete densifier or acrylic concrete sealer.