Driveway sealer reviews. Reviews and ratings of the best driveway sealers.
There are several types of sealers on the market that can be used to seal driveways. The best driveway sealer will depend on the type of driveway being sealed, and how you want the driveway to look once sealed.
Penetrating Driveway Sealers
The two most common types of penetrating driveway sealers are silicate sealers and water repellent sealers. Silicate sealers are used to increase the strength and density of the concrete, while water repellent sealers are used to reduce deterioration and staining caused by water absorption. In cases where the driveway is weak and deteriorating, silicates are used first to strengthen and then water repellents are applied 5-7 days later to help protect. At the very least, a water repellent sealer should be use because water absorption causes cracking, spalling, pitting, and staining. It also caused mold and mildew growth, and efflorescence.
Best Silicate Sealers
- Armor S2000 Concrete Sealer Review (concentrated)
- RadonSeal Concrete Sealer Review (pre-diluted)
- Stone Technolgies X-1 Concrete Sealer Review (pre-diluted)
- Ashford Formula Concrete Sealer Review (pre-diluted)
- Armor L3000 Concrete Sealer Review (concentrated)
Best Water Repellent Sealers
- Armor SX5000 Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.8 star review)
- Siloxane PD Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.5 star review)
- DryWay Water Repellent Concrete Sealer Review (average 3.8 star review)
Wet Look Driveway Sealers
Wet look driveway sealers are designed to make driveways look wet. The most common type of wet look sealer is an acrylic sealer. Acrylic sealers can be broken up into two main categories, water and solvent based.
- Water Based Acrylic Sealers: Water based acrylic sealers offer little to no “wet look”. For a true wet look finish, a solvent based acrylic should be used.
- Solvent Based Acrylic Sealers: Solvent based acrylic resins will significantly darken the surface of the concrete or pavers, giving them a similar appearance to being “wet”.
Best Wet Look Driveway Sealers
- Armor AR350 Wet Look Sealer – Average 4.8 star review
- Enduraseal SB Acrylic Sealer – Average 4.5 star review
- Seal-Krete Clear Seal Acrylic Sealer – Average 4 star review
- Eagle High Gloss Sealer – Average 4.6 star review
High Gloss Driveway Sealers
High gloss driveway sealers are designed to enhance driveways with a high gloss finish. The most common types of high gloss sealers are acrylic sealers. Acrylic sealers can be broken up into two main categories, water and solvent based.
- Water Based Acrylic Sealers: Water based acrylic sealers are a great option where VOC restrictions are present. They are easy to apply, but require more work to maintain. Screen sanding, and in some cases removal, are required upon recoat. Water based acrylic sealers will not darken the surface, or enhance dull or faded surfaces.
- Solvent Based Acrylic Sealers: Solvent based acrylic sealers are the most popular type of high gloss sealer. They are easy to apply and maintain, and will darken the surface to enhance dull or faded surfaces. Solvent based acrylic sealers can also be applied in color, should you wish to refinish the concrete driveway.
Best High Gloss Driveway Sealers
- Eagle High Gloss Sealer (average 4.6 star review)
- Armor AR350 Wet Look Sealer (average 4.8 star review)
- Armor AR500 High Gloss Sealer (average 4.9 star review)
- Enduraseal SB Acrylic Sealer (average 4.5 star review)