Silane Siloxane concrete sealers are penetrating water repellent sealers designed to reduce the absorption of water on the surface. By reducing surface water absorption, they reduce deterioration caused by water absorption such as cracking, spalling, and pitting. Surface water that isn’t absorbed into the concrete evaporates quickly, reducing the growth of mold and mildew, and the formation of efflorescence.
Silane Siloxane sealers can be applied to virtually all types of unsealed concrete, brick, paver, stone, slate, flagstone, aggregate, and granite surfaces. They will not change the look or color of the concrete, and they won’t leave a visible surface film. Concrete sealed with a Silane-Siloxane concrete sealer will look exactly as it did before being sealed.
Frequently Asked Questions About Silane Siloxane Sealers:
- How long do Silane Siloxane concrete sealers last? Silane Siloxane concrete sealers last 7-10 years. The bead goes away within the first year, but the sealer continues to work within the pores.
- How many coats are required? Like with all penetrating sealers, for best results two coats should be applied.
- What can a Silane-Siloxane sealer be used for? Silane Siloxane concrete sealers can be used to seal driveways, garage floors, paver patios, aggregate walkways, warehouse floors, kennel floors, and more.
- How do you apply a Silane Siloxane concrete sealer? Silane Siloxane concrete sealers can be applied with a roller or a sprayer. Pump sprayers will get better coverage and penetration into the concrete.
Types of Silane Siloxane Concrete Sealers
The market is flooded with Silane Siloxane concrete sealers, but not all Silane Siloxane concrete sealers are the same. There are several differences to consider when shopping for a Silane Siloxane concrete sealer:
- Base: Silane Siloxane concrete sealers are available in water and solvent based solutions. Solvent based sealers are able to penetrate slightly better than water based sealers, but both types of sealers will provide the same benefits.
- Solids Content: Solids content is defined as the percentage of active materials present in the sealer. Most Silane Siloxane sealers found in big box stores contain a 2-8% solids solution, while professional grade products online contain 20-40%. The low solids solutions and high solids solutions offer the same benefits, but where you see a difference in in the performance. Higher solids solutions protect the concrete better and for a longer period of time. The differences won’t be apparent in the first year or two, but around the 3-5 year mark you will notice that the low solids solutions offer little to no protection while the higher solids solutions are still working hard.
How Silane Siloxane Sealers Differ from Silane and Siloxane Sealers
Silane-Siloxane sealers are very different from Silane concrete sealers and Siloxane concrete sealers. Silane sealers perform better below the surface and Siloxane sealers perform better on the surface. By combining the two sealers (Silane-Siloxane sealer), you get equal protection above and below the surface. A Silane-Siloxane hybrid will always perform better than just a Silane concrete sealer or just Siloxane concrete sealer.
Best Silane-Siloxane Concrete Sealers
- Eagle Natural Seal (average 4.0 star review)
- Armor SX5000 Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.8 star review)
- Siloxane PD Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.5 star review)
- Okon S-20 Concrete Sealer Review (average 4.0 star review)
- Thompson’s Water Seal Concrete Sealer Review (average 3.2 star review)